Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hello Yellow


This little friend came home with me the other day. My grandmother had a pair of the same cats in orange and seeing this one brought back a flood of memories of my Gram. She also had a big bowl of plastic fruits, would make me bologne and tomato sauce sandwiches served with a strawberry Quick milkshake. Oh and the best pikelets in the world in an old electric frypan. Details girl that I am, I can still remember the entire layout of her house and the peach tree in the backyard.

 When she died a few years ago, I was in another state with a toddler who was a terrible traveller. It wasn't until months later that I found myself wandering around her deserted house, most items having already been sold or given away. I was under instructions from my dad, to take anything that I felt belonged with me.  And there in a box in the spare room was an old old vintage book on sewing. It felt as though she had left it out for me as if to say, here, this is all you need to remember me. I think I closed the door on her house with this book under one arm and some teatowels under the other.


I have fond memories of visiting my Gram as a little girl, she was a fantastic knitter and made me many things on request. I am looking forward to learning a thing or two from this little book.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like your Gram made a mark on your life:) Strawberry milkshakes and pikelets on an electric frying pan, what special memories:) Enjoy learning, I bet it will teach you a thing or two. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you got something that was hers.I have something of my grans but nothing of my Nans but wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely memories you have of your Grandmother. It seems that book was really meant for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post Mel and I think your Gram's book is the perfect keepsake.

    PS Congrats on making it to the bottom of my long winded post... and also for your thoughtful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm quite smitten with your cotton reels too. A couple of hours ago a friend showed me a trunk she bought back from her Mum's house with all her Nan's crochet tools, 50's crochet books and a stash of fabric that is very unique. She said nobody else wanted it when they were clearing out the house. There was even the pattern from her wedding dress in the packet. Nice too know there are some like minded souls out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is it about memories with Granparents? They shape our lives more than we realise.I bought a cottage the same as one my Nanna lived in.Love your kitty,see my June post.Your Mulberry tree is looking yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gran sounds like she was a lovely lady.
    I love yellow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i used to own that book, just lovely. cannot wait to see what you whip up. still smiling over your vintage fabric loot from a couple of weeks back. :) the kitty cat is gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete