Sunday, July 29, 2012

Thrifting with friends


I have managed to convert a few friends to the joys of op shopping and this week, we were out with a map and a plan.  One friend has a very specific list of items she needs for her house, the other seems to have a knack for fossicking out amazing outfits. Neither of them have any interest in pyrex, vintage sheets, milkglass or kitsch salt and pepper shakes but I am training them up in case they go somewhere very adventurous on a day that I am at work.

While my head is in the mode of designing a new kitchen, I could not leave this little hen and chicks salt and pepper set behind. I am very much in love with this fabric too, it came in a scraps pack from the op shop a while back. I think this week would have to be one of my best for finds. For a start there was the vintage duck egg blue chenille.


Backed with a vintage sheet that had unfortunately been used as a painting dropsheet. The horror!. I will unpick this I think and then use this glorious fringed colour on our bed.

I think there were squeals and bouncing up and down when I stumbled across this little beauty. A gorgeous pristine never used brown floral Sheriden vintage sheet set. Amazingly, Zara seemed to find the exact same sheet in the purple tones and in equally pristine condition. Go the synchronized thrifting.


And I couldn't leave this one behind either, although slightly faded it was so so soft, and pink which is vintage sheet gold.


And on my personal wishlist, finally after all this time, some turquoise pyrex. And a set of two nesting bowls at that. These were from my local oppie and I am sure the karmic reward for the two full bags of kids books and clothes that I was dropping off.


There is some more of this wonderfulness but I am falling asleep while I type. Back soon with more goodies, creative kids, accessories for Betsy and a very happy Legoman.

Linking with Sophie for more vintage goodies.

17 comments:

  1. Those brown and yellow sheets are familiar, my Mum had a set of them all througout the 80s! I think they then got turned into dust covers in the garage and so hung around for even longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, wonder who those great friends are!? I'm definitely up with keeping an eye out for the milk glass, but that's it... And after the last mega-meltdown from J I think that's all I can manage ;-) G'nite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went thrifting with friends once to who had no desire of the vintage it was wonderful, we all had our lists.....Love your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to go thrift shopping with you, your finds are lovely :) x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you're training your mates!!! Great finds. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must have been the week for vintage floral Sheriden goodness.
    Love all your finds as usual.
    You may still be able to use some of the un-paint splattered bits of the sheet backing, maybe?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see more - love reading about your finds. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am another that would love to go shopping with you, your turquoise finds are truly fabulous and am totally swooning over the chenille bedspread! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finds - love the colours and that chenille looks like it is in excellent condition!
    I don't know about encouraging friends to fall in love with the things you like to hunt for ;) nice to have people to ship with though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mel you get the best sheets! I love your other kitchen so I look fwd to seeing what you have planned this time round. We too had a corian bench in our last home and I absolutely loved it. In our current home we chose a caesarstone and
    I miss our corian. Sigh. I digress...your finds...haha I was just reading over my comment and the spellchecker had changed corian to coriander. Yes your finds...I love the color of the chenille and a piece of Pyrex or two is always a winner in my books. Great finds as always Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love to see anything in my favorite colour, turqouise. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to go treasure finding with you! Love those Pyrex dishes! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my you always find the best things on your op shop walks. I had a similar chenille bedspread in purple on my bed when I was growing up:) When I was sitting on my bed not doing much at all I would plait those fringes, fun times. Love those pyrex dishes:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. discount ambien online consultation for ambien - ambien side effects mood

    ReplyDelete
  15. xanax 0.5mg xanax drug test employment - buy xanax online cheap mastercard

    ReplyDelete
  16. valium without prescriptions will 5mg valium do - valium without prescriptions

    ReplyDelete
  17. buy zolpidem online zolpidem 10 mg high - ambien side effects diarrhea

    ReplyDelete