Sunday, July 15, 2012

Vintage sheet frocks and other fancies


Someone left a comment a while back asking me what I did with all the vintage sheets I had collected. I thought I had best provide some evidence that I do not have a certifiable hoarding disorder. A few months back,  I did finally finish making a frock for miss Liongirl. The stitching is a little wonky and that was the first ruffle I have ever attempted. Despite this, she loves it (the pocket pouch helps) and I can't wait to make a few more as this one will be too short by the time next summer comes.

Other than dresses, the vintage sheetage gets a variety of loving over here at Betsy's. Often they are actually on the bed, being used as, you'll never believe it........ bed sheets.


When there is a new batch freshly washed, they give me a wonderful view out of my lounge room windows. (We are moving the washing line as it is not quite as exciting with the socks and jocks load).


Often when the weather is good, we drag a few outside and whip up a cubby. So much easier on the eye than a tarp.


I haven't found many lately though, they are few and far between these days. This is one of the few in as many months.


Remember when I made this little minature quilt for the toy cot? I want to make a bigger version of this next, a tea party mat for miss Liongirl, maybe even with chenille backing so we can snuggle under it if we are out and about.


I do really need to sort and iron my stash as a priority, so some pics of that another time. I'll leave you with some washing line joy.



Linking in with Sophie for more vintage goodies.

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a pillow pet? There's a lot of pressure here to get some pillow pets ... and I love seeing mis-matched but somehow matching vintage sheets on beds. And orange and pink is such a great combo.

    Clever dress-making mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep MMMC it is indeed, superb tackyness courtesy of my MIL. She was also responsible for miss Liongirl's clear plastic shoes which were an absolute favourite for what seemed like forever! melx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I love vintage sheets. Almost as much as you do. And I agree with MMMC - love orange and pink.

    Wish my washing line looked liked that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little dress is lovely Mel.

    It's nice to see vintage sheets on a bed, although how Liongirl manages to fall asleep among all that retro hot pink and orange lusciousness is a bit of a mystery...

    Can't stop singing that Pillow Pet ditty - v.catchy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!! so much gorgeous colour and pattern, makes me so happy! And that dress is just lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on using the vintage sheets on the bed. My MIL is horrified and keeps buying pristine pink flannelette ones from (gasp) retailers!!!

    I find it SO hard to cut into the old lovely ones. The pillowcases are easier to cut up especially when they have worn out bits. Pretty laundry loveliness! There was sunshine?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am a vintage sheet hoarder! But what a lovely addiction to have :) That dress is so cute x

    ReplyDelete
  9. All those pretty, colorful sheets are lovely and you have done wonderful things with them. Cute dress. Hope all your little ones are doing much better over there. Your creamy rice pudding sounds yummy. One of my favorites. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you vintage sheet stash. It's cool that you use them as sheets still. They really are lovely. And I'm very impressed with the little frock. Will you make one for you? xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hanging mine on the line! We are a weird bunch aren't we! Yes they are getting very difficult to come by now :( your little dress is so sweet, my lines are a bit wobbly too, practice makes perfect, or so they say!
    Most of my wallpaper is from eBay with occasional car boot finds, think most people think no one would want them so they get thrown!!! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sheets look very sweet made into that little dress for Liongirl, I can just see her now dancing around in it:) That quilt is coming along very nicely. I love all of the pretty fabrics your using. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything you've been up to with vintage sheets! The dress especially is wonderful (kids and pockets eh, I've been thinking about making my girl a dress thats all pockets!). her bed looks gorgeous made up with vintage sheets and that fort rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delight, all that lovely vintage hanging on the line. And the cubby, and the dress- wonderful! :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stop it, i have total vintage sheet envy!! Look at all that glorious fabric, prints & patterns, not to mention colour, argh, you're SO lucky!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Mel!
    You did a great job with this little dress. So cute and I agree that pockets can make all the difference. I loved seeing your sheet stash..you have so many, so many prints that I have never come across, as well as a few I recognise (in the dolly quilt). Have a great weekend. Lea
    PS LOVE the Reno of your previous home. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such lovely vintage sheetiness...it's great that you get to use yours....if I had girls I would for sure but boys are not so keen on the florals :).... A washing line full of pretty sheets is the best kind of washing xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that is so sweet! Love the little dress and the washing on the line :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the sheets on Liongirl's bed, they look fabulous and so bright and colourful! Her little dress is so sweet too, you are very clever! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sheets look gorgeous on the bed against the white and what a cute dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jus gorgeous!! Love seeing vintage sheets 'in action' so to speak pix!

    ReplyDelete