Thursday, November 8, 2012

Woohoo, I made a dress


Yep, sewed to completion. It is frankly, a complete miracle. I have been pfaffing around for months whilst having distinct problems committing to sewing anything. You know when you are so overwhelmed with tasks that must be done, that you just move piles of washing from one spot to another around the house and feel guilty even reading a magazine? There was tax to be sorted, house plans to be altered, boxes of baby clothes to be sold, a spare room to be cleaned out before visitors, work papers to read, walls to paint, and that is on top of the daily groundhog moments of washing and folding and cooking and I could go on but you all know what I mean. I could not even sit still long enough to focus on one task.


And then my 14 year old neighbour came and raided my fabric stash to up cycle her cut off denim shorts. And I had some kind of internal teenage rebellion and decided that if she could spend an entire day of the weekend attaching a tablecloth to her buttocks then I was indeed entitled to "waste" time making a dress. For my daughter, who in all likelihood may refuse to wear it.


In order to maximise the odds of this dress being worn, it was time to ramp up the pink factor. These two vintage sheets were both in perfect condition, with vivid colour and were very, very pink.  I ordered what looked like  a simple pattern from this lovely etsy store  ( it was the playdate peasant dress) and would you believe it took a total of three hours including cutting out. And, I have never even attempted anything with elastic  before. Hence the woohoo. Now while I should be doing all manner of important things, I am plotting my next version. At least my sanity sewing circle is back on tomorrow so I don't have to wait long.


And, she has worn it, with gusto, lots of times already. I do suspect she is hankering for some pockets, may have to add some the next time I need to stage a rebellion against  my household responsibilities.

29 comments:

  1. Fabulous first attempt - well done! You must be so pleased that she likes it!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, it's lovely! I think the vintage sheets from you last post would make lovely dresses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fabric combination, so cute and sassy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is too cute! And my, you have been a busy bee. It's amazing how much we mums have to do every, single day. Don't you wonder what you used to do with your time before kids? As for your house plans, are there many changes? xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so glad you made some time to do this, and it turned out just gorgeous! happy (more) sewing to you :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi BG....congratulations!!...the dress is very cute...cant wait to see more. bugger the housework!
    allison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that dress is soooooo gorgeous. Love the sleeves. Well done! I'm in awe of anyone who can whip things up like that. Sewing machine still on my wishlist. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. So pretty. You are super clever. I am still the anti craft....

    Can't wait for your reno posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really hard to swap the dull stuff for fun stuff sometimes, but isn't it good when you do. Such a gorgeous dress and great daughter for loving it so. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. You clever duck! Love it - I would wear it. Sometimes you just have to let go of the day to day tasks to do something for you. Others you will go nuts ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous dress - you could go in to business! There is a new shop on Lutwyche Road at Windsor (kind of opposite Officeworks) called paper rose - it's a vintage fabric shop that you would just love. They are selling little dresses just the same as this in vintage fabrics for around $80!!

    The jobs never end so you have to end them yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course she's worn it Mel! It's gorgeous and right up Miss Liongirl's alley I'd say.
    You are so clever. Well done. You sew girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh so pretty Mel, I love the pink bodice fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not sure how i arrived at your lovely blog but i'm so glad i did. I could have written the beginning of your post. I have a dress pattern and fabric sat on top of my sewing machine waiting for me.I also have a big box of baby clothes that need sorting, washing needs hanging out, hoovering needs doing and a teething baby and a bored two year old that needs my attention.
    How i'd just love a day all to myself to sew and potter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it!
    Those pink prints are just too cute together!
    And I am so glad that she has worn it!

    I rely on my mother to make things for me...she is incredibly handy with a sewing machine, and with knitting needles and with needlepoint.
    Her being so good at craft means I have never bothered to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes I found myself nodding away with the beginning of your post too but a spot of making is so good for the soul. You did a great job Mel! It's gorgeous. I will have to check out theses patterns. They look perfect for my beginner skills. I love the combination of pinks you used and the trim on the bottom just makes I think. Yay you. Keep rebelling..the housework won't go anywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh well done! Not only for the beautiful dress but also for the 'me' time. WIshing you the loveliest of Fridays.
    Steph :) x
    thisbrownwren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very pretty. Those vintage florals are stunning.
    Just need it in adult size now.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done. It's gorgeous. Don't you love that feeling when you conquered a challenge like that. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. hello beautiful!

    I do indeed have wallpaper for you to peruse! fancy a coffee/cake date with myself, sophie (library adventures) and mel (gentlefolk) sometime soon?? would love to swap stories and top you and soph up with some second hand love. will get things organised (we've already started to talk about it)and will email you to let you know. dress is perfection by the way. watch out naughty shorts! ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. ps. of course you can have a cake screenprint! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. A really pretty dress, no wonder she wore it :)! Know what your mean about all the household responsibilities, always making me feel guilty when I sit down to make something. Somehow I need the creative escapades to get more inspiration for boring household tasks though. Nice feeling clever and producing something pretty and or useful - not only processing all the stacks of laundry that keep returning to the laundry room :)Pam

    ReplyDelete
  23. It must be said: you do have a way with an old sheet. I't lovely.

    And you reminded me I was going to do my tax last night. And pretty much every other night for the last three months.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's divine! Sew clever, you! Isn't it fun? Don't you curse when you realise how easy it can be! I'm so thrilled to read that Liongirl wears it. That's what sewing is all about!!

    WhooHoo indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've just happened upon your blog, and reading back through a few posts I have to say your blog is so bright and colourful. I love your vintage sheets and the dress you've made for your daughter is lovely. Now you've made one I'm sure there will be no stopping you now!
    I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOHOOO

    check you out with your skill and awesomeness

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous!! I have been trying to get some help to make a dress also. I just feel the need to at least attempt one dress for Little Miss before she is not so little. This style of dress looks similar to a style a friend makes and sells. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete