Sunday, September 1, 2013

Light it up and plumb it in- Reno day 101



We have lights. The exciting pendant variety that is. Please excuse the terrible custard backdrop, once I have whited it all out I will get a much better pic of this beauty. We decided to swap them around and put the colourful one in the hall.


We kept the plain white one for the entry space so as to not compete with the leadlight.




Most exciting is the installation of those three mint green pendants that have been snuggled up in their boxes for the last 15 months. They are  still hanging  a little low but you get the idea. That's our fridge, all wrapped up in a protective vintage blankie.




And those industrial pendants we found at the demolition yard are in as well on the deck. They have a few bumps and dings, but I think it just adds to the charm.



The electricians suggested some up lighting on the expansive deck wall. We found these spotlights but turned upwards they should do the trick.




Meanwhile the plumber returned and in between uninspired jobs like installing downpipes, he popped a new toilet and pedestal sink into the second teeny tiny bathroom. This is the only room in the house without vj walls so I am pondering whether to sneak some wallpaper in here.




Several of you were wondering what the heck an ironing station was? I had no idea either until our cabinetmaker suggested it. We had been considering a pull out ironing board in a drawer but apparently these wall mounted options are much sturdier. It has a shelf and plug for the iron and the board folds down and swivels so there was just enough room to fit one in the laundry.



And finally, this week we had some resolution to the ongoing issues with the kitchen window. Despite the window company being aware from the beginning that this window was to be installed flush with the bench top, this simple request turned into a huge palaver.




In the end (at the builders suggestion) we were awaiting a final frame to be installed to cover over the main frame and reveal. Now that this is finally in I can see this room actually getting finished properly.




Next up it's kitchen benches and a few final jobs for Betsy.

20 comments:

  1. I love all of your lighting. Those first two are especially gorgeous, love that colored one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh the lights the lights the green ones are divine! loving....bestest d x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, You're on the home stretch now - it's all looking so fabulous. Coincidence you are talking lighting today, because I am having a major re-think of ours (amongst other things) even though we are way, way off having them installed. After seeing your green darlings hanging there, I'm wishing that I kept with the original choice of floor tile in my bathrooms. Oh and I hope Legoman likes his new ironing station! ha xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel - your house is looking AMAZING. I am so totally utterly jealous. THOSE green lights - and I am loving the industrial ones too. BEAUTIFUL. <3 SKye xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lights are beautiful, and I really like your ironing station. Things will go very quickly from here on, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your lights Mel, most especially the first two.
    This is all very exciting for you, and it's all turning out very nicely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! Your reno's are so exciting, I bet your glad there nearly done! You have done an amazing job. I Love that Ironing station - I NEED One of those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow - it's looking great. Love the pendants (all of them, but especially the mint green ones in the kitchen). The window in your kitchen is looking fab, and it will be such a great space to work in... your benches must be on their way this week?
    I vote for wallpaper, it's somewhere you can go a bit crazy and do something really fun xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like everyone else's comments, I too am in awe of your awesome, it's coming along so well. Love it! And can't wait to see it complete :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like everyone else's comments, I too am in awe of your awesome, it's coming along so well. Love it! And can't wait to see it complete :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like a pendent light or ten. and you get to have them on your deck too.
    Yes wallpaper in the bathroom, you really should.
    Maybe this one- http://www.anwallpapers.com.au/shop/design/15/Floral/30/Unikko?page=5
    or Roboboy would love this one- http://www.signatureprints.com.au/products/wallpaper/production-picks/cockatoos-fbw-cu14943/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it all!
    And yes to the wallpaper! Why not? Plus it will be a few less walls that you have to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How I love your pendants! They are lovely. We had to forego some in favour of fans and I have always been a little sad about it. My husband is very tall and finds pendants "difficult"! Go to town with the wallpaper! We had an original 1950's ironing station made of wood in a bungalow in Cairns many years ago. It was very old but the best ironing board I ever used!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, wow, wow.....love those lights! Can't wait to see more! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, it's really coming along! I've enjoyed a lovely long read through your posts and it's so exciting to see it all coming together. Your lights are totally gorgeous, all of them, you have lovely taste. I too had never heard of an ironing station but it's a pretty good idea I have to say.

    Your comments about France made me think - us Brits totally take for granted our proximity to mainland Europe and all it has to offer. But if it makes you feel any better, I am always envious of those fabulous tropical holidays in Thailand or Vietnaam that you down under folk always seem to be going on. :-)

    Gillian xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. OHHH THE LIGHTS!!! Oh so beautiful. I must say that the green mint lights are quite gutsy. I love that colour. I love colour but too scared to use it in my house. Good tip about the ironing board. I would love one of these.
    www.lasscreative.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those kitchen lights are cool! What a fabulous space you're going to have in the kitchen!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. those mint green pendants!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! looking gorgeous mel. proud of you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow a lot happens in a couple of weeks away. Love your lights, especially the green pendants and the uplights will look stunning on the deck xx.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love love love the white pendant light, can I ask where you soured from? The kitchen lights are gems too, what a find :-)

    ReplyDelete